27 juin, 2005

Apprehension

When it comes right down to it, I find that changing from something that is comfortable to something that is new is more difficult than stepping out into something that is unknown. Even something that is "muy pesado," or really heavy, draining, or wearying, is often easy to stick with because it is so much more familiar (read- like family). This may explain why so many folks, especially women, stick it out with situations that nobody else can understand. Make no mistake, I am not speaking about my own family in this case, but rather that which Isee in my workplace. Countless people come across my path who cannot see that there are better alternatives because chasing after them would mean changing something that is comfortable to some degree. For example if a child always gets to sleep with his parents and the parents want my advice, many times I will get the objection, "but Doctor, he's going to cry all night." Good. It is about time. I'm not saying he should be put to bed and the door locked from outside, but he needs to learn that there are alternatives for him to explore. He needs reassurance and comforting, but also he needs to learn that sometimes things change and are still okay.

As adults we often are faced with opportunities that we may find exciting but do not take for the same reasons. We are uncomfortable with changing that with which wea re familiar. We make excuses to ourselves to lessen our regret but regret it we do. We survey our lives and the opportunites to change that were there and passed over often are the very things we regret the most.

At least that is how I see it. I have very few regrets that are things that I have done. Most of them are things that I chose not to do. I don't want to be that way anymore. I would rather live my life and have some regrets having lived it actively than to live my life overly cautiously, having regrets of things I could have done or at least attempted. Thoughts?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonyme said...

the unknown is always worth some apprehension but the unknown and new experiences make for far more interesting stories and blog posts. :-)

I try to live with the attitude of no regrets that our decisions and actions make us who we are today and that is far better than being someone else. Don’t get me wrong I’m not perfect and don’t always make the right decisions but in the long run looking back I wouldn’t be the person I am now without making the mistakes or right decisions I made in the past. In all things try to do the right thing is a simple yet effective way to live. I guess all this to say don’t be afraid to live just learn from your decisions and the consequences of your actions.

Do it. Do it. Do it.

lundi, juin 27, 2005 10:14:00 PM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home