28 juin, 2005

sounding board

It seems that the ones who know me best are the ones who can say the most insightful things sometimes. The Proverbs are a great source of wisdom from which to draw insight, and it is a great thing to be reminded from whence I have come. For me the Proverbs are a wonderful encouragement. There are so many that speak to me. Here are but a few: Pr. 13:12 "Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but desire fulfilled is a tree of life"; Pr. 16:9 "The mind of man plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps"; Pr. 17:17 "A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity"; and Pr. 3:7-8 "Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your body and refreshing to your bones."

Just out of curiousity, what Proverbs are you reading these days- what gets your attention and truly speaks to you?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonyme said...

Pr 27:5 "Better is open rebuke than hidden love."

I like 17:17; I used to half-jokingly tell a friend who was perenially experiencing some minor hardship or another that he was, indeed, the brother born for adversity. I don't think he thought it was as funny I as I did.

jeudi, juin 30, 2005 12:00:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

From Proverbs you can't beat, "Wisdom is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will beat it far from him." Knowing my inner child--or the child I once was--maybe you can see why I'm so fond of that one.

And until now I never realized how similar my favorite adult proverb is: (but I have to paraphrase) "The wise man hears rebuke and gains understanding." Both verses are about taking your lumps, I guess, one of those things I try to do with grace. But it hurts nonetheless.

When signing my students' senior yearbooks, I always wrote what I called the 'graduation verse,' because it was on several of my own graduation gifts. Proverbs 3: 5-6. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths." Not inappropriate for grownup travelers, either, is it?

Steven

mercredi, juillet 06, 2005 12:02:00 AM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home