13 octobre, 2005

A rant on 'Net etiquette

Well, it seems that I again have let the pride get the better of me. I was reading an excellent entry in a friend’s blog, when I came across some commentary that really did not set well with me (is it “sit well,” or “set well?” I never know). In fact it really got under my skin. I had commented early on and mostly agreed with what was being said, but the next few comments said things about the entry (and possibly my own) that were not very nice. “Moronic” was an adjective that he used referring to the entry and comments, and that irked me. Then he proceeded to say that “you must be one of those…” to have written them. Now, I hope that this guy is not up for a judicial position somewhere, because he certainly has not read much with an open mind to go off making judgments like that about one’s political bent. So accusatory. So harsh. So little information upon which to base such criticism. What would his mother think? Would he be so ill-mannered in person? Would he behave thusly in a classroom or council meeting? I should hope not. But then, I don’t know.

Unfortunately my response was not much better, except that I did not call him out, label him, nor reject his theories as “moronic” when I most certainly could have done all of those things. Instead I simply used some of his own phrases and showed that, given his exaggeration, of course things could be the way he sees them, if in fact one is truly blind to how things work. Or something like that. I was a little upset.

My friend, however, is much more skilled at handling objections such as those of this fellow. He proceeded in a subsequent comment to detail and delineate much of the facts as they are, instead of how they have been perceived by the other. And he did it with so much more grace than I could have. I think that if it had been my own blog that I would have simply deleted the comments altogether, unless they were written by someone who was a friend (or relative) of mine. Perhaps they know each other. I don’t know. It doesn’t matter so much really. Let’s just say that I am not cut out for the realm of political debate.

The real issue with which I have a problem is that unlike face to face confrontation, where there is often some since of civility, a modicum of diplomacy, or at least a hint of manners, when we are surfing the internet, many of us drive with the windows rolled up tightly on the cyber-freeway in buffer to buffer traffic, honking and cutting down whoever gets in our way or happens to have somehow disagreed with the directions that we think are correct in order to arrive at a place at which we really don’t want everyone to end up (the mixed-metaphorical pun of the day). In short we behave differently because we feel the firewall will protect us from shame.

The truth is that one need not look very hard to find blogs and chats that are full of people who vehemently disagree and write all sorts of reprehensible things in the name of winning the point (not considered to be the classiest debate tactic), where they would not speak the same way in a coffee-shop or fireside chat.

It’s just manners, people! It has nothing to do with politics, taxes, laws, religious faith, or whether one drinks coffee or tea or any other equally enchanting beverage. It is simply being civil. Can we not expect so little from a “civilized” people?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonyme said...

Coffee drinkers are fools

jeudi, octobre 13, 2005 8:45:00 AM  
Blogger The Doctor said...

thanks, guys. I was just sipping my foolish Seattle's Best-Henry's blend with just the right amount of cream and sugar, when I was reminded that coffee is the opium of the people (who can't get the real thing, anyway), when I realized that as a stimulant, coffee doesn't tranqualize one nearly as well as opiates, but then using opiates in any way other than the usual medicinal use is considered illegal/immoral, and an escape from reality, while coffee/tea and other stimulant drinks (Diet Coke, anyone?) make one feel as though the world is somewhat under one's thumb, at least until we leave the coffee shop. Plus it helps me to write more like James Joyce and less like a doctor. Which may or may not be a good thing, but I'm going to go get some more coffee. That's good stuff. Hey, have you had much coffee, Mike? Good coffee, that is?

jeudi, octobre 13, 2005 10:18:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Right on, man. Another great phrase: Right on. It's road-rage on the info highway. People do feel safe enough to say anything, don't they? I've done it. I told you, Denn, about the most bitter, blistering e-mail since Al Gore had the pleasure of inventing the internet. It's now been over two months and the Beav and I haven't spoken. --Other than my thorough apologies, including the $50 gift certificate to the Bass Pro Shops.

When it comes to road rage on the net, tis better to receive than to give. And it is lovely when a boss does it to you publicly, then has to apologize publicly after he is proven wrong. That's happened to me twice. Sweet justice. I love that prayer, "Vindicate me, Oh, God, according to Thy righteousness."

But it's harder to pray when you are the giver. Nothing's worse than that e-mail I sent August 2. The Jeremiad of a lifetime. But he deserved it, right?.... :-)

Sometimes I wonder if things will ever be the same.

Exercise restraint in all things on the net. "Better is he who rules his spirit than he who captures a city." (Pray for this husband and father on that score, please.)

--Love, older and hostil-er.

Oh, and P.S.--Due to the budget crunch around here, I've been rereading old books rather than buying new ones. Started Portrait of the Artist again yesterday. I must say, I don't think coffee had much to do with it. Or to put it another way, the depth of Joyce's genius is partly revealed by the fact that he makes it look so easy. Upon further study, this stream of consciousness is a good bit more organized than one might think. Themes and phrases roll in and out with symphonic grace. Blah, blah, blah. Sorry. It's just real, real good, you know?

Listened to the Underground Man last week in the car. Heavy stuff. But I liked it better than Crime and Punishment, which never really did it for me. But Underground Man is known to be a Christian work and a refutation of evolution and the secular humanism that later vanquished the faith of Russia. I think Dostoyevsky succeeded, though the proletariat went with Darwin instead.

Sorry to put all this on the blog, not an e-mail. People will think I'm Frazier Crane. (Thus making you Niles.)

Anyway, have another cup of half-caf, low-fat, sugar-free, no-whip capuccino for me (or whatever it is Niles used to order--I didn't speak coffee back then). I prefer to sleep again this week.

samedi, octobre 15, 2005 12:30:00 AM  
Blogger The Doctor said...

SW, i have to admit that it took guts to send the email of which you refer. Your old sidekick may be mad, but if ever two people had enough history between them to absorb something like that, you two do. He may have been offended, but it is not as if you were simply an anonymous writer with harsh criticism- you know him as well as most anyone. Who better to give a kick in the pants when it is needed? You know that you and I have said things to each other in ways that have been harsh and even mean, but never was the love in question. It is axiomatiic between you and I that we are brothers first and friends second. So I can think of precious few things that can come between us. Between you and CW, there has always been a little more space for that, but not much. He needs some time I think, if only to digest the bitter crow that he needs to eat.

And I'm not really a cappuccino drinker. Mostly brewed coffee, and the occassional caramel macchiatto (vanilla latte with real caramel) or mocha (a latte with a lot of chocolate syrup) are more my cup of tea.

yeah that was a bad pun (if a bad pun can really exist- there are whole philosphical arguments upun that topic)- maybe we could have a quick chat about it sometime over an ex-presso).

and by the way, Niles is the smarter one. Take that however you like.

samedi, octobre 15, 2005 1:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

I don't know about smart, but he's certainly fussy, isn't he?

(In truth, another friend of mine--the poli-sci, Spanish, history major now a chosen frozen paralegal--THAT friend... Now HE's Niles in the flesh. From Scott I learned the word, "fastidious." An apt description, no?

samedi, octobre 15, 2005 11:14:00 PM  
Blogger The Doctor said...

How does he know that he is chosen, and not just frozen?

I suppose a good calvinist simply believes, does what he is taught to do, and accepts his fate gladly, whether it ends well or not.

Boy was that coffee good this morning.

By the way, for good books at better prices- check out abebooks.com

dimanche, octobre 16, 2005 2:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

GREAT phrase, "chosen and not just frozen." You are a funny one, sometimes. And you're right about your bros. e-mail to his buddy. He needs to get off the guilt-trip and let it be.
Mama

P.S. I TOLD you I'd get around to all this stuff eventually.

lundi, octobre 24, 2005 8:06:00 PM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home