20 septembre, 2005

Tappahannock, VA

I don't think that I have ever lived in a small town. Greenville, SC seemed like a small town to me, and they had nearly 250,000 people when I moved there. Granada, Spain seemed kinda small, too, and there are almost 250,000 people there. Tappahannock, VA, on the other hand has almost 3,000 people. It is the "major shopping hub" for 6 counties, though, so during the day it seems busier. It is home to Walmart, a hospital, Shoney's, and a soon to be completed Lowe's. It is a simpler life, and from the first moment, people have asked me if I am going to stay and be the new doctor.

Now, there are other doctors here, to be sure, but each one has plenty of patients and stays busy, so when one leaves like the one whom I am replacing, there is a significant gap.

Anyway, it is nice that they already want me to "reconsider." I am sure that any plans that I have are meaningless to them, but I have at least mentioned several times that I am planning to go to New Zealand to work in January. "But don't you want to stay here? You'll love it here in no time." Perhaps. But that won't cure me from the Traveler's Peditis (or the itchy feet that make me travel).

As an aside, I want to say that I pray that things go well with all my people back in the Houston area as "Rita" visits this weekend.

8 Comments:

Blogger Nomad said...

I'm happy for you, Dennis. I have those itchy feet, too. Erika thinks you're hot.

mardi, septembre 20, 2005 6:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Dennis is hot. I just didn't mention it at dinner.

Tappahannock would count as a big town in my frame of reference. The town where I went to grade school and junior high (Croton, OH) was four miles from my house and had a population of 979 (Sa-lute!) in the 2000 census. To get to something about the size of Tappahannock, I would have to drive 20 miles or so.

So I feel your pain. But there are lots of cool things about little-big towns; hopefully you will experience a whole bunch of those while you're there, too.

mercredi, septembre 21, 2005 2:13:00 AM  
Blogger The Doctor said...

Well, er, uh, thanks, everybody. I must say I'm flattered. I also must say that considering his comment on my "hotness," I'm glad that the tag line on Mike's website is, "Heteronormative since 1969," but then maybe that is because Robb thinks that I have "homosupposisneurosis"...

mercredi, septembre 21, 2005 8:44:00 AM  
Blogger Nomad said...

so true, e. that was definitely my favorite part of growing up in killeen. friday night football games were the center of life and we all loved it! and the cheese... hey, do girls cut the cheese???

jeudi, septembre 22, 2005 3:22:00 PM  
Blogger The Doctor said...

Diana, I think you of all people should know about that.
I certainly am being well-received here, and they are already telling me that I'm going to have a tough time leaving (I think they are planning a kid-napping already!).

jeudi, septembre 22, 2005 3:49:00 PM  
Blogger Nomad said...

You're right, Dennis... and we don't.

jeudi, septembre 22, 2005 4:34:00 PM  
Blogger The Doctor said...

Riiiiiiiiight.

jeudi, septembre 22, 2005 5:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Okay, but seriously. That's cool being in such a small town. The most I've done in towns that size is get speeding tickets. Oh, and I have been to Hooks. They had a depo at a tiny little house, where the plaintiff and his wife sat smoking, surrounded by bottles of oxygen. And, as I've said so many times, lawyers are the chicken-est people on earth (so they did their homework, for ex.)and they cut the depo short, fearing some sort of nuclear blast. The plaintiff was amused. "Whuss the big deal?"

Every lawyer I know fled Rita, too. Except me and a few odd-ball daredevils. (Most of the chickens are plaintiffs, and they are true believers in toxic mold and every other threat, real or just litigated.)

jeudi, octobre 06, 2005 11:20:00 PM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home