02 septembre, 2005

Home Sweet Home

So I am back in Houston, and it seems that I missed a lot of hot and humid weather. Aw shucks. I'll still get my share of it, I am certain.
My trip back was okay, but I had two major delays caused by a certain American Airline that will remain nameless. First, though we landed a few minutes early, we were unable to pull into a gate because another plane had not left ontime. It finally left 20 minutes later, and we were able to park 10 minutes after that (it takes a few minutes to get the gate ready for another plane). Then after going through Immigration easily enough, we all waited at least another 40 minutes for the first bags from our plane to be brought to the baggage claim area. For those who are unaware of how the Customs control works, when flying into a major airport one must clear customs before flying to another city within the country, as not all of them will have customs offfices.
It took another several minutes to get my bag and then I breezed through Customs and went to the next stop where I rechecked my bag to Houston. By then we had been in Miami for an hour and a half, but my flight was set to leave thirty minutes later, and the woman at the desk told me that they would not be able to get my bag to my plane in time for me to make the flight (though I knew that I could easily walk to the gate in 15 minutes), so she had to reschedule me to a later flight (3.5 hours later). I was really tired when I got home, let me tell you.
So I have resolved to continue using preferentially another more "Continental" airline when possible, and even if it cost a bit more. They just treat me right.
No that I am home, I have to focus on several things: getting things arranged for a job in Virginia that starts in just over 2 weeks; arranging the purchase of a condo locally; and starting the process to work in New Zealand beginning in late January or early February. If things allow, and they should, I am going to see if I can volunteer my services medically (as I no longer work with the county, I am no longer insured to practice) to those who need medical attention who are here in Houston seeking refuge from the disaster that was New Orleans. Pray for them.