28 juillet, 2005

Denbo's Crazy Homemade Horchata!

Okay, so normally the drink called "Horchata" is made with ground up uncooked rice (google the recipe if you want). However, as I neither have the means nor the inclination to grind up rice, make a drink, and later strain it, I made a small modification.

If one can't find the right ingredients, sometimes one must be a bit inventive. In this case, I had planned to make a real horchata, but I did not know that it used the rice, because I got a recipe from a waitress at a taqueria that didn't use it. then I looked it up in the 11th hour, only to find it was not what I thought. So off to Central Market I went.

After searching for a premix powder (as some had told me it could be bought, though more likely at the Fiesta Market), I finally realized that I was not at the right store for that sort of thing. Of course they have rice, but I was not in the mood for that.

okay. long story short, here's the recipe I used to make 2 gallons of Denbo's Homemade Horchata:

Take a little water. Add 2 cans of sweetened condensed milk. Then mix well (I just shook mine up). Next add 2 ounces of vanilla extract and 1.5 teaspoonfuls of cinnamon (more or less- I just eyeballed it with a regular spoon). If possible, throw in a banana, the more ripe the better. I just broke on in small pieces, but maybe using a blender would help. I don't bother with those things. The last ingredient (besides a lot more water) is what I chose after careful consideration of the fact that I wasn't about to grind up rice in my coffee grinder and filter the mix with a cheesecloth the next day. Without giving the nod to any particular brandname, I bought 3 juiceboxes of a rice-milk drink (something about dreaming and rice and spilling milk on the box...). Pour that in the mix, add enough water to make two gallons, shake and refrigerate for a day or so. No filtering, no grinding, and (unless you want to) no blenders.

The comments I got were really surprising. I thought it was okay, passable to me, someone who has not had horchata many times and wouldn't know the real thing from a fake. However there were a few who really liked it a lot.

But then, who doesn't like sweetened milk, vanilla, bananas, and cinnamon?