01 août, 2005

Empowerment? or simply transference?


So I'm reading a friend's blog and note that in a recent post he writes about all the bumper stickers he has seen and how they may be witty or clever, or whatever. One in particular has to do with Mary Kay Cosmetics. One can follow the link in the title to read it for oneself, but in short he recalls the sticker as saying, "Mary Kay Cosmetics: Empowering Women's Lives." He then goes on about that a bit, and makes some interesting points. However, the reality is that the sticker doesn't say "Empowering." On the contrary it says, "Enriching," which is something altogether different. Here we have a sticker that says two things as sort of a double meaning: on the one hand it refers to the fact that Mary Kay is a line of products that are known to be good in quality and value and allows the individual to have her (or his in some cases) own home-based business, while at the same time, if one is highly motivated and successful, one might be able to make a large amount of money.

Now, I don't want to criticize my friend in my blog, and what I am saying is only meant to inform and comment on what he has written, but his blog doesn't allow for comments, so I thought I'd leave mine here and he can find it when he has a chance. So if you see him, tell him I wrote about him. And we'll see you later.