28 septembre, 2005

Easy = Boring

I've been in VA now for about 10 days. I have spent 8 of them "at work." So far my productivity indicators are telling me that I am getting paid far to much for the amount of work that I am doing. Clearly the hospital system is operating in the red in this case. I suppose that it has everything to do with being the new kid in town, along with the fact that not every person wants to change doctors so many times (as if they were going to have to see me so many times before the new permanent dr gets here). Today I saw all of 4 patients. Easy, right? Sure but it is not so much fun as it is boring. Boring a hole in my head wuold at least be interesting. During my spare time all I can do is try to figure out the intricacies of this old Compaq computer that I am using. Using with reservations, I might add. Those of you who know me understand that as a disciple of Macintosh, I feel as though I am betraying my computerized faith and taking a leap into what will inevitably end up in the "blue screen of death," which is akin to that place of weeping and gnashing of teeth. I think my friend Jough does not believe in that place, but then, he uses a Mac too, so maybe he hasn't heard from the other side (lucky for him).

I, on the other hand, have been forced into using a pc out of necessity, at least while I am in the office, because that is all that I can use on this network. I suppose I'll get by. I cannot access everything that I want to access, and I suppose that is not because it is not possible as much as it is that I have certain bookmarks and settings streamlined already on my PowerBook, but either way it is irritating. A little.

Perhaps I can use this opportunity to get to know the other side. It would be like studying the Koran or the Book of Mormon. Interesting, but when one has seen the Light, it is that much easier to recognize the Dark Side.

So am I really saying that using a Mac is like unto a conversion? Of course. Just ask any Mac-user and they will agree. Even those who once were one of us but have left the fold (like my brother's brother-in-law who left and went to work for Compaq) tend to agree that the Mac is more user-friendly and stable. I have even loaned my iBook to a friend just to help him return from his back-sliding ways. He was reluctant, being a real techno-guru type, but deep down I know that he loves the Mac. He just can't use it at work.

Now, that was easy, and hopefully not too boring.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonyme said...

Thanks again for the loan! I've not had any time to play with the iBook (my friend Rita said she was coming over, then ditched at the last minute, but I had to get the house ready anyway--she's such a pain).

I disavow any quasi-religious status any computer may have had in my life at any point. They're just tools/toys. Tools and toys make poor gods. May you be at peace with your computer, however you conceive it to be.

mercredi, septembre 28, 2005 9:50:00 PM  
Blogger The Doctor said...

I don't mean to say that I have ever conceived my computer or anyone else's. Mine were all made in a factory- I had nothing to do with their conception whatsoever. I am at peace with my computer, which happens to be an instrument of communication and entertainment (especially since I have to use it to play DVD's now).

jeudi, septembre 29, 2005 8:40:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Allz I know is, you're way too into this whole Macintosh thing. I think we need to have us a good, old-fashioned INTERVENTION. "The lady doth protest too much, methinks." That is, do not attempt to remove the mote that is in your brother's eye until you address yourself to the spoons planted behind your own eyes, Oedipus.

Okay, I just threw in Oedipus. But what a great story...

jeudi, octobre 06, 2005 11:08:00 PM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home