27 novembre, 2005

Coffee, Tea, or What'll it be?

Ah, the steaming cup of dark liquid refreshment comes as part of the daily routine for so many people all over the world. Whether one lives in North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Australia, or even Africa, in any locale it seems that one can find either coffee or tea if it is desired. It is a a mark of civilization to an extent. I have been to places all over the world, and in all of them I have tried the local coffee to see how they make it. Tea is also ubiquitous and though the British Empire seems to take credit for speading its fame, the Chinese have been brewing it for centuries.

Coffee may have been first brewed as far back as 900 BC in Ethiopia, and it was a mainstay in the muslim world by the 15th century. It was called 'Kahweh,' after the arabic word for invigorating. It still seems to be invigorating today.

Tea, on the other hand, has been around the west since the 16th century but had its origins over 4,000 years ago in China. The first book written on the subject of tea was the Chinese book Ch'a Ching, which was written circa 780 AD. There is a plethora of information available on this history, but this site, has interesting snippets about tea customs.

Now, back to the task at hand...

Since I am currently sitting in a coffee shop called Shockoe Espresso, I shall first discuss my own thoughts on coffee.

I find coffee is something that I want to drink in the morning mostly. I like it brewed, rather than espresso, and I add some sugar and cream until it is nice and medium brown, like a nice tan color. Too much cream and it tastes too fatty, so it has taken a while to figure out the balance. Too much sugar makes it taste overly sweet, which kind of ruins the coffee taste for me. My dad would say that any sugar ruins the taste, but I cannot really take it black, as I find it too strong and bitter.

It seems to be a really good way to start my day. It helps to define the day that way. Almost as though the day doesn't really start until I have some to drink. Even if I don't drink much, it feels strange until I do, like something's missing. Of course it isn't a requirement, but it is a preference.

Tea is a better drink in the afternoon and evening. Besides having less caffeine, it is a lighter drink by and large. Though there are some teas, such as Lapsang Souchong, which have a very strong taste- Lapsang Souchong has a smoky taste, as though it were dried over a hickory fire. Very interesting taste. I prefer milder teas like Earl Grey, Lady Grey, Irish breakfast tea, and oolong tea.

Both tea and coffee provide one with an escape from the mundane tasks of life. It is a simple pleasure that takes time to complete. It requires care and attention to make a cup that is just right. And the reward for the effort is gone in the time it takes to drink. The longer it is savored, the more the pleasure. If one takes it too fast it burns, and the flavor is hidden by the river of hot liquid as it scorches the tongue. Besides, that's no way to treat a good cup of coffee or tea. It is there to serve, and it faithfully rewards its maker with delightful moods and good times. It is something that can be enjoyed no matter the weather, no matter the situation, and no matter the company. And on top of that it is legal everywhere.

Life is full of simple pleasures. Tea and coffee are but two of them, but having found them, I shall celebrate and enjoy them fully as I continue my quest to find others.

13 Comments:

Blogger J C said...

ahhhh...fair enough my friend

perhaps all hot teas DON'T taste like flavored water

i doubt i'll pick it up as a favorite drink, though

lundi, novembre 28, 2005 12:38:00 AM  
Blogger The Doctor said...

J, I said the same thing when I was your age. You'll be an addict before you know it. And you'll love it.

e, were those wet noodles or dry, cooked or not, and were they angel hair or tagliatelle, italian or asian? not that it is important, I mean, they didn't hit me anyway. sounds like a good time to me.

lundi, novembre 28, 2005 11:33:00 AM  
Blogger palomita said...

I suppose hot chocolate doesn't fit into the mix here, since it's, at best, a seasonal drink. If I were hot chocolate, I'd be sad for not having a home in the drink world.

lundi, novembre 28, 2005 11:54:00 AM  
Blogger The Doctor said...

ah, but remember your very first cup of chantico drinking chocolate? a memorable experience, and decidedly not seasonal...

lundi, novembre 28, 2005 12:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

J, it's not eventual that you will succumb to the tea conspiracy. I'm even older than Dennis and still don't drink the stuff unless it's iced and has some lemon in it.

An ex-roommate of mine developed a tea habit just so he'd have something to drink when his new wife wanted coffee. I guess coffee is the ultimate acquired taste.

I'd have to say I prefer coffee over tea, but neither of them are on my must-do daily or weekly lists.

lundi, novembre 28, 2005 4:58:00 PM  
Blogger palomita said...

i just laughed out loud and blushed a little bit at that memory!!

i haven't managed to get my first red cup of the season...and now i'm doubly dying for one, well...two, actually:

1. peppermint mocha
2. chantico

there's no starbucks in woking, and even though i was in london on sunday, every starbucks i passed had a line longer than i was willing to endure.

...but if you're in houston for the holidays, maybe i'll wait on the chantico so i can enjoy another one with you!

lundi, novembre 28, 2005 5:48:00 PM  
Blogger The Doctor said...

it's a deal- call me when you're home.

lundi, novembre 28, 2005 5:58:00 PM  
Blogger J C said...

mike - i hear ya man

if i'm drinking tea, it better be sweet as all get-out, and have a lemon in the bottom of the glass

just a good ol' boy

lundi, novembre 28, 2005 8:38:00 PM  
Blogger The Doctor said...

a truer southerner there never was...
I like my sugar with a little iced tea as well, at least when served with dinner on a hot southern day.
actually the best hot tea I've had was in the UK, and they prepared it for me with a little milk and 2 lumps of sugar. mmmmmmm, british tea. kind of makes up for all that taxation without representation... OH! Wait a minute! No it doesn't!

sorry. got lost in the History Channel (or "channelling history) for a moment...

lundi, novembre 28, 2005 9:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

I know you're too modest to brag on me, but MY sweetened iced tea is the best you've ever had.
As for coffee, as far as I'm concerned, it's an impossible-to-acquire taste. Nothing
you can add makes it palatable. But I got bunches of compliments on the coffee I made Thanksgiving, and I don't know why. It was just as awful as all the rest.

lundi, novembre 28, 2005 9:34:00 PM  
Blogger S. said...

That Thanksgiving coffee was exquisite. The secret ingredient was 'thanks.' (Good book: Thankful Heart by Carole Lewis of First Place fame.)

mardi, novembre 29, 2005 1:40:00 PM  
Blogger S. said...

In the spirit of your post:

I like cereal. It comes in a box. I like it best when you open the cardboard box, then open the plastic liner, then pour some in a bowl. If you add milk, it is even better. Oh, and eat it with a spoon for a real treat! Cereal is generally made from grains, but sometimes even has dried fruit or sliced nuts in it. It is so fun to eat. Cereal is not as old a custom as coffee, but for me, it goes back much further.

Sometimes I add sugar to cereal. But many brands come with the sugar already stuck on, like paint. (They call it frosting.) Cereal is nice.

mardi, novembre 29, 2005 1:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Oh, Steven, you take the cake! Or the Frosted Flakes, as the case may be.
Happy Birthday, Funny Guy.

mardi, novembre 29, 2005 4:57:00 PM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home