08 novembre, 2005

Surf John Steven? Who's that?

Well, it seems that once in a while a musician comes along who doesn't fit. The establishment doesn't understand. The consumer doesn't appreciate the music. But it is still good. Like Jazz and Classical blended with folk and rock and little country, with a smattering of old and a little originality for good measure. That is the case with Sufjan Stevens. He is unlike any musician I know of, and his music is created as if in a vacuum, unaffected by the winds of change and foul weather that so often besets young artists during their formative years. Apparently Sufjan taught himself music and the instruments that he uses, so having no classical or traditional training, he seems to fly into the music like Icarus on his homemade wings of melody, bouyed up by the choir and collection of instruments that he uses like so many thermals under a gliders wing.

Anyway, thanks to a couple of friends who are always introducing new music to me, I am now a fan. And I used to not like Tom Waits either.

6 Comments:

Blogger Blueprincesa said...

Hey! I have a Sufjan Stevens CD! Haven't listened to it in awhile though... thanks for reminding me.

mardi, novembre 08, 2005 7:40:00 PM  
Blogger The Doctor said...

no problem, bp. thanks for noticing the post...

mercredi, novembre 09, 2005 9:24:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Now you have an "official" blog! You've done a post aboot Suffy! w00f!

jeudi, novembre 10, 2005 1:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

SUFJAN RULES!

jeudi, novembre 10, 2005 2:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

What do you think of Karla Bonoff?

dimanche, novembre 13, 2005 3:27:00 PM  
Blogger The Doctor said...

She's got some good songs, but I wouldn't say I could pick one out if I heard one. Doesn't mean she's not someone I wouldn't like, I just don't know her stuff.

dimanche, novembre 13, 2005 3:35:00 PM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home