19 octobre, 2005

Ode to the Ancient Life

Am I an ancient one, distinguished and refined,
Grey and “mature” in her mind (as I am in mine),
Though I do not know her mind; does she mind?
Can it be that it is all in my head?
This notion that I am almost dead from age
At any age can be a bitter pill to find, I’m reminded
Of my longing for the next world;
It seems I’ll be there soon enough,
And yet for now I have today and no more
Promised- Death will come in his time.
-Make the most of today while it is-,
-Breathe life in and Live-
She may yet give me a day.

Or more.

For now there is nothing to fear.
There is only to live and breathe
To inhale every breath as Adam’s first
And to awaken the heart with a passionate roar
The lion awakening to tame the jungle,
The heart alive and strong.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonyme said...

Okay, I'll bite. How exactly is this about the Astros? I don't get it.

--SW

jeudi, octobre 20, 2005 12:17:00 AM  
Blogger The Doctor said...

hey- you were the English major/teacher...you should be able to figure it out.

Maybe (if it is truly about the Astros) one could see the team as the "ancient one" and "she" is Baseball; the "next world" is the other side of winning the World Series; she may give me another day to play (which happened- we are going to the "Big Show"; the city is roaring with hope, pride like a lion- alive and strong.

But then, maybe I wasn't really thinking of the Astros on Tuesday night...

jeudi, octobre 20, 2005 8:51:00 AM  
Blogger The Doctor said...

cool, thanks.

it might be about a sci-fi show.

or not.

I've been known to write about things in ways that make them much cooler than they really are.

jeudi, octobre 20, 2005 5:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

In high school I had to memorize the last paragraph of William Jennings Bryants' Thanatopsis. This is excellent and reminds me of that. Such pithy thoughts you have!
Mom

dimanche, octobre 23, 2005 6:49:00 PM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home