03 novembre, 2005

So where's Cal Ripkin live?

Since this is a travelogue of sorts, I suppose it is always a goood idea to write a little bit about where I have been. Right now, as you are aware, I am spending a season in Eastern Virginia in a small town. Reminds me of a scandalous movie with Raquel Welch and a girl named Crista whom I once met and later had lunch date with (and the usual outcome- nothing worth writing here), but I digress. Again.

Last weekend I decided to go to Baltimore, that beautiful city on the East Coast of Maryland. Lots of history there, especially important battles during the second war of independence (aka the war of 1812), and among other things, it was there that Francis Scott Key penned the words to our national anthem.

It was a really nice trip. My friend Nadia, whose brother has been a friend of mine for only about 17-18 years, showed me some of the sights. It was a lot of fun. We went to the harbor, downtown, and later with a couple others to a lantern parade in a park. It was kind of chilly, but we had fun. Capped off with a really good pizza at a hole in the wall called Murhpy's (I think), it was a nice trip. I should go back sometime during baseball season though...

6 Comments:

Blogger The Doctor said...

You know, as in cal ripkin, jr., the modern-day Iron Horse (Lou Gehrig's nickname in NY because he played every single game for over 2100 games in a row).

vendredi, novembre 04, 2005 5:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

I gather he lived in Baltimore.
You know, Glen Burnie is nearby
and Gwynne's dad was an Orioles fan
all his life.

lundi, novembre 07, 2005 5:17:00 PM  
Blogger S. said...

Gwynne's dad, God-love-him, he was probably the very biggest baseball fan I have ever known. I actually think of him whenever I think of baseball nuts.

But--what a great game. The boy and I have been having batting practice every day, sometimes twice. The boy can hit well enough, but he's too passionate to stick to the fundamentals....

lundi, novembre 07, 2005 11:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Oh, Steven, you are too funny! Fundamentals? Give me a break! As long as he can take hits on the ear in stride and make cute comments like,
"That's just how it is in baseball," who needs fundamentals? Let him whirl around when he bats and pick flowers in the field just as you did. He's FOUR!!

mardi, novembre 08, 2005 6:20:00 PM  
Blogger The Doctor said...

besides- isn't teaching fundamentals of baseball my job as uncle?

mardi, novembre 08, 2005 6:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Yes, it definitely is, but when will you be here to do it?

mercredi, novembre 09, 2005 9:31:00 AM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home