11 novembre, 2005

How do I want to live? Like this man...

Kyle Lake, the pastor of University Baptist Church of Waco, TX, died during Sunday morning services at his church. The following is the conclusion of the sermon that he wrote but wasn't able to give.

Live. And Live Well.
BREATHE. Breathe in and Breathe deeply. Be PRESENT. Do not be past. Do not be future. Be now.
On a crystal clear, breezy 70 degree day, roll down the windows and FEEL the wind against your skin. Feel the warmth of the sun.
If you run, then allow those first few breaths on a cool Autumn day to FREEZE your lungs and do not just be alarmed, be ALIVE.
Get knee-deep in a novel and LOSE track of time.
If you bike, pedal HARD… and if you crash then crash well.
Feel the SATISFACTION of a job well done—a paper well-written, a project thoroughly completed, a play well-performed.
If you must wipe the snot from your 3-year old’s nose, don’t be disgusted if the Kleenex didn’t catch it all… because soon he’ll be wiping his own.
If you’ve recently experienced loss, then GRIEVE. And Grieve well.
At the table with friends and family, LAUGH. If you’re eating and laughing at the same time, then might as well laugh until you puke. And if you eat, then SMELL. The aromas are not impediments to your day. Steak on the grill, coffee beans freshly ground, cookies in the oven. And TASTE. Taste every ounce of flavor. Taste every ounce of friendship. Taste every ounce of Life. Because-it-is-most-definitely-a-Gift.

Kyle Lake, b. 6/12/1972
d. 10/30/2005

Thanks, Kyle. May we all strive to live each moment knowing that it is a gift.

5 Comments:

Blogger J C said...

My God

Where do I sign up, dennis?

vendredi, novembre 11, 2005 3:26:00 PM  
Blogger Dave Roberts said...

so good, I have spread your fame a lil bit...

samedi, novembre 12, 2005 3:04:00 AM  
Blogger The Doctor said...

thanks, it is appreciated...

dimanche, novembre 13, 2005 2:25:00 PM  
Blogger S. said...

I agree. Wouldn't it be great if everyone could pronounce some profound goodbye before the big day? Like MLK's "I have been to the Mountain...and I may not get there with you, but...."

Or Rich Mullins' song: "When I leave I wanna go out like Elijah," and etc.

Or Lincoln's statements about his imminent death. But I guess all you get is the chance to live full every day--then the stuff will already be said. Most importantly, don't forget to tell people what they mean to you.

On living well, I like the following:

"I went into the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life...to put to rout all that was not life; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau.

From a blog literally called suck the marrow. (suckthemarrow.blogspot.com)

mardi, novembre 15, 2005 1:01:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Steven, my brother Barrett had a derivation of Thoreau's thoughts for me when I left to move to Nashville ten years ago to pursue a few of my dreams. I asked what he thought of my leaving Houston for a place I didn't know, and he said, "Carter, sometimes you just gotta take life by the lips and suck as hard as you can." Truer words have never been spoken, and I strive every day to live in the moment. Seems like I've said something like this on another of your posts, Dennis. Sorry if it's a bit redundant, but it could stand to be repeated a few more times for all our sakes.

mardi, décembre 06, 2005 4:10:00 PM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home