29 novembre, 2005

Mild mannered musings for my brother on his birthday:


Sitting on the couch has me thinking, almost wishing that I were home seeing
My brother opening cards and presents that say so much more than,
“Happy Birthday!-We love you!-You want cake?-We do too!”
The in-between lines are where we really say what we mean, the added comments
The quips, the puns, the fact that we spent more time searching for just the “right” card
Than in finding the present that cost much more. But that’s what we want you to know,
That we really did go and do that for you. Because we love you- because you are you.
No matter who it is that sends you greetings, precious readings of lines that someone else penned, for Hallmark, or Carlton Cards, or American Greetings,
Or even The Far Side, it is not my pride that makes me write these words for you,
My brother. My partner in crimes and justice,
My warrior-friend at my side in so many battles of boyhood days past,
Both in our imagination and in our neighborhood: you were always my protector,
There to keep careful watch over me, making sure that nobody, and I mean nobody,
Whether cowboy or indian, alien, or the bully from down the block,
Would ever supplant you as the only one who could give me a hard time.
I smile now at how you were so quick to step up for me if it was ever needed,
Though it was seldom required, I admired you for it every time.
When time came that I was given a chance to do the same I hope that I was there too,
For you’ve been a brother like none other, and should I have to have another
I would have to ask our mother for another such as you, although a sister might just do,
As either would be younger, and I’ve have to be the brother to be looked up to like the other, like the brother of their brother, like the one I know as you.
Let your days by full of joy, merriment, and love,
Your brother,
Dennis

13 Comments:

Blogger J C said...

the one thing i wish my parents had given me that they failed to do

a Brother

mardi, novembre 29, 2005 10:57:00 AM  
Blogger S. said...

So, the secret's out--not just the end of 38 years, but my mug on the net....

No big deal, of course. But your words of course, mean a great deal. Thanks. I must say, no one ever picks cards as well as you. I thought about that recently while standing between the stacks of cards. I just couldn't find anything as perfect as the ones you always come up with. (Did you know Strunk & White says it is okay, at times, to end a sentence with a preposition?!)

As for being your protector, as I remember it, you never wanted much protection. And I always wanted to be the hero, but there weren't too many opportunities. (You were always so darn likable.)

I don't suspect you'll be getting anymore siblings, but hey--miracles can happen, right? Neither of our parents are as old as Sarah and Abraham.....

Thanks again. You are loved. We'll be getting together Saturday if your desire to be here just can't be resisted.

mardi, novembre 29, 2005 1:28:00 PM  
Blogger The Doctor said...

besides that, the parents would prefer that I have a son or daughter myself before they do...

mardi, novembre 29, 2005 2:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Super sentiment, sweet mushiness great lines full of gooey gushiness, all say I Love You and that's what matters, and one sibling's enough of kids' pitter- patters, so don't count on more, just have some of your own, but first find a wife to fill up your home and warm up your heart and be your First Peep and then I can finally get some sleep!

mardi, novembre 29, 2005 4:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Dennis said right! I'm too old to go back to work and raise another kid.

Besides that(Old English for "anyway"), we wouldn't want folks to say--- well two out of three is ok, but-----

mardi, novembre 29, 2005 5:57:00 PM  
Blogger S. said...

I don't really get that last comment. What would come where the ellipses are? (Those are the little dots, Pa....) Just kidding.

Well, after last weekend's nuptials, I gotta say, Props to E CLark Warren and E-harmony.com. If I were widowed tomorrow, I'd be logging in there after an appropriate time of grieving.

Oh, by the way, I found a really interesting website. You ever wonder what happens to those dollar bills you spend? WHere did they come from, where will they go? How much cocaine is really on them (as the story/urban legend tells it)?

Check out www.wheresgeorge.com.

I'm killing time on happy CLE day. The online class I was attending crashed and started over--with no way to fast forward. Ugh. But I'm nearly done for the year.

mardi, novembre 29, 2005 6:26:00 PM  
Blogger The Doctor said...

ew- welcome! we so seldom hear from you in this forum, but don't think that I don't know who you really are...

steven- looks like the ellipses he used (which were really hyphens---) would best replace quotation marks. and I suppose the thought continued might say, "well, two out of three is ok, but [too bad that last one talks so much more than the rest of them...]."

how's that for punctuation?

mercredi, novembre 30, 2005 5:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

I think its great the Walseses can debate Punctuation, my family hardly uses real words!

This doohicky that I'm punching the thang that puts the stuff on the screenything is...wow!

See you may not understand that, but anyone in me clan would.

I...do...like...elipses...all the better to kiss with, my dear! (moment of silence for D-DW)

mercredi, novembre 30, 2005 10:11:00 PM  
Blogger The Doctor said...

very pfunny... but that looks like a Fruedian ellipse to me...

mercredi, novembre 30, 2005 11:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

i would never dare say i invented ellipses...i mean i'm not al gore...and they aren't the internet...but i believe it is clear...that i love them much more than any of you...i love them enough to swear off all other punctation...

jeudi, décembre 01, 2005 1:17:00 AM  
Blogger S. said...

And of course, your screen name, "E" stands for ellipses, right?

jeudi, décembre 01, 2005 9:39:00 AM  
Blogger The Doctor said...

oo- that might change the meaning of sploosh's last comment
teehee!

jeudi, décembre 01, 2005 4:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

You caught me! My new niece named ELI constantly poops and pukes when I'm holding her! aka P's-eS

vendredi, décembre 02, 2005 1:38:00 AM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home